Wednesday, February 22, 2006

New Music

Way back in the early 70s, PBS broadcast a series called something like Religion in America. As I remember it, which may have nothing to do with how it actually was, the series aired on Sunday nights and there were a dozen or so episodes, each portraying a different contemporary religious experience. I could make up something about all the different religions, but really, though I recall being mesmerized by the show, the specifics have vanished, though I know there was a distinctly post-60s tinge to it all, with lots of hippies who had discovered religion. I kind of remember a tipi, and I know I remember long-haired girls in white robes whirling around in ecstasy, and that's about it.

Lately my favorite radio station with the acoustic morning show and the reggae afternoon show has been a bit too gentle for my mood, so I've been listening to the alternative rock station. Which means I finally got to hear Matisyahu, the Hasidic reggae rap sensation. I knew exactly who it was the first time I heard him: the reggae backbeat, rapperly croon, and lyrics about loving God could only be one guy.

It was...well, the word that comes to mind is: sweet. And the image that comes to mind is those girls whirling around in ecstasy in their white robes. And the more I've heard it (I wish I knew the name of the song, but I don't--it's the one with the reggae backbeat, the rapperly croon, and the lyrics about loving God), the more I like it, even though probably there is some reason I shouldn't. But it's just...sweet.

I've also been hearing The Subways a bunch. The word that comes to mind is: eh. There are lots of Brit-pop garage bands I'd rather listen to, even if they are a boy, his brother, and his girlfriend who have been playing together since they were teenagers, which would be just last year (that is, they were teenagers just last year--they've been playing together for five years, I think) (and it's very sweet that he's still with his teenage girlfriend of five years ago, but still: eh).

Every time I hear "Rock and Roll Queen," I think I'd rather be listening to whatever song it is on Hole's Live Through This that it sounds exactly like. (Note to self: remember to listen to Live Through This.)

Score:
Matisyahu - 1
The Subways - 0

3 comments:

jackie said...

I like Matisyahu too-- it's one thing I can share with younger college-freshman brother, which makes me still feel young too!

fend for yourself said...

did you ever hear the this american life about the hasidic rocker who dubbed himself "curly Oxide?" it is genius. and here's the link.
http://www.thislife.org/pages/descriptions/04/268.html

Dawn said...

I just saw that video on Mtv and I made Noah watch it even though he wanted to watch cartoon network and I have to say that I really liked it, too.