Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Jennifer Garner

So I'm one of those people who likes to think Jennifer Garner is One Of Us. I mean, come on, she's married to Ben! (The post-J Lo, back-to-his-roots Ben!) And she shops at the Farmer's Market! In jeans and a t-shirt! She has that cute little girl, and she takes her to the playground, and she goes to Fenway Park (OK, that's Ben's influence, but she looks like she's having a good time).

I mean, she seems like the antithesis of, say, Tom and Katie, with their endless courting of the paparazzi.

Except then I start to wonder. Actually, I started to wonder a while ago. I was thinking about playground pictures. Denise Richards's playground pictures are obviously staged so as to garner [sic] maximum publicity. Denise poses; Jen plays. But if she didn't want the attention, don't you think she could play at home?

Then this evening I saw her in a Neutrogena commercial. Does she need the money? Or does she just want the publicity? Neutrogena: clean, classy: the Jen image.

But is it all just an image?

No comments: