Wednesday, October 15, 2008

But Becca, Why Aren't You Blogging About the Red Sox?

1. Because it is too gruesome for words.

2. Because really it's a miracle that they even got this far.

3. Because I have this crazy zero-sum magical-thinking hope kind of thing going that says if the Red Sox lose...well, I'm not going to go there...

4. Because, honestly, I'm not madly in love with this team. I mean, I still love the Red Sox per se. And Dustin Pedroia, Mike Lowell, Youk, Ellsbury, Varitek, Lester, Papelbon, even Dice-K, yeah, yeah, I love them too, but who are these other guys? And you know, even though he had to go, well, the dreadlocked one's absence is...an absence (though I sure hope he ends up in the same position we do, whichever position that may be).

5. Because, fundamentally, I am realizing, I do not have the temperament of a true fan. I have seen the Red Sox win twice in my lifetime, it was good, and I don't need them to win every year. Then again, another 86 would not be OK...

1 comment:

postacademic said...

Um...go Phillies? (c'mon, you know I'd be rooting for the Red Sox otherwise)