Friday, September 16, 2005

Read the New York Times With Me

These days I don't have much time to troll the internet looking for cool links. I don't even have time to read other blogs looking for links to steal. I haven't actively followed celebrity gossip since Katrina--it still seems blasphemous (though I am aware that Britney had her baby--I just can't help it). I don't have much to say about current events.

But I did manage to read the Times today, so here are a few links.

Anybody who reads me regularly know that I abhor David Brooks, but he's right on the mark--and funny--with this one.

Excuse me, we're going to go visit all the seminaries and ask if any seminarians have special friendships? Um, hello? Catholic Church? It's 2005, just wanted to let you know. Besides, isn't the requirement celibacy? Whoever you might want to do it with, if you're not doing it, you're not doing it, or did I misunderstand the meaning of celibacy?

I hated What to Expect When You're Expecting from the beginning. I mean, what the hell is that with the diet? If I eat an ice cream cone my kid is going to be a moron? I don't think so. Glad to hear expectant moms everywhere are catching up with me (though I have to confess that I would surreptitiously check my kids' development against the milestones in the What to Expect baby and toddler books--but only at bookstores, I wouldn't have dreamed of buying them).

Last, but not least, let's hear it for Lolita, published 50 years ago today. Funny, I don't remember if I actually liked Lolita when I read it a zillion years ago. Maybe it's time to try it again--after I finish On Beauty (ok, I'm cheating: that's a link from Tuesday).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do you like On Beauty? I'm excited to read it. V. good article about What to Expect, too. I remember being given it, the First Year one and the Toddler Years one as gifts, egads. After a while I just used the "disease" section to look up symptoms, which was pretty informative to a clueless first time mom. Other than that they're just overwhelming and seem to be designed to make you feel as frightened and inadequate as possible.

parodie said...

The whole homosexuality=pedophilia is just so, so wrong - and such a common misinterpretation. Most pedophiles identify as straight...but try telling the Catholic Church that.