Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Brokeback Mountain

The New Yorker has reprinted the original story. At first I wasn't impressed: too much unbelievable dialogue and I couldn't tell the characters apart. But then it grew on me and I did figure out which was which and I liked the last part. I remember when I read The Shipping News, the first 20 or pages or so I was thinking, what's the big fuss? Then I got pulled in and it was, indeed, a great novel. I don't know if I'll see the movie, espeically given how many movies I don't see these days. The preview didn't excite me so much, though then again, it is the gay cowboy movie, and that seems, on principle, something not to miss. And I definitely won't be seeing Narnia or King Kong...

2 comments:

elswhere said...

I remember reading the story when it first came out in the New Yorker, out of idle curiosity at first, then totally sucked in, right to the last devestating paragraph.

Now I'm curious to see the movie, too. That, and the Sarah Silverman movie. I too am happy to give Narnia a miss.

jackie said...

i read it first in "Close Range," the book of hers that it's in now, and it made me cry, totally. the shirt-sniffing? like a baby, I cried.