Monday, September 01, 2008

But We Can Still Talk About Palin's Positions

Libby is right: Rebecca Traister is totally on it, as usual. Which gives me the chance to point out something else I've noticed about Palin: she's not as simplistic as people want to make her out to be. I should have links here, but I don't feel like putting that much energy into this post, so I'll just point out that saying creationism should be taught alongside evolution is different from saying evolution should not be taught, and according to Traister, she has not been a huge advocate of abstinence-only sex ed, as people are insinuating. Maybe she's just being politically savvy, and there's a raving wingnut deep inside, but I don't think so. I do think joining a group called Feminists for Life has meaning, meaning that's complicated and as difficult for lots of pro-lifers to deal with as it is for feminists to swallow, and meaning that Palin seems to be walking as well as talking.

There is a lot wrong with Sarah Palin as a potential vice president, if you have my kind of politics, but demonizing her into a right-wing caricature is not going to get us anywhere.

1 comment:

Libby said...

I *do* think she's been politically savvy, which is why this whole episode is even more confusing--