Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Note on Blogging

I am obsessed with Katrina. I check the news compulsively. I send another email to my friend in New Orleans each time the previous one bounces back, though I'm not really worried about him, because he makes good money and has a good car and parents and in-laws who will do whatever is necessary, plus of course he is a bit neurotic so, like I said, I'm sure he was long gone when Katrina hit. Instead, I worry about the poor people, the old people, the children, the ones who couldn't get out or lost everything and have no credit cards with which to get it all back. I worry about the oil rigs broken in the water that is surging into the city where the people live.

I am heartbroken for Badger. I think about E missing her brother, and I wonder how much pain people are capable of living through.

I feel guilty that I don't know enough about Darfur.

But really nothing that I might blog about Katrina or Badger or Darfur does any justice to any of it. I could write nothing, but that too seems self-important, in its own twisted way.

This is sort of an explanation for why I just blog away, regardless.

And perhaps--yes, this is self-important too--if someone laughs at the end of a silly post, I've put the tiniest bit of positive energy out there against all that is so terrible. Which might matter a tiny bit, at the very least for that person who got to laugh instead of cry.