Whosoever amongst you is without sin can cast the stone on taxes, but it's not going to be me.
Here are the tax sins I've committed (at least the ones I can think of):
- Paid nanny under the table for two years (she wanted the cash).
- Paid several housecleaners under the table (again, they wanted it that way).
- NEVER pay estimated taxes (because I am just too damn lazy, though I do pay it all every year round about April 13).
- Am currently ignoring a tax bill from No Longer Red State Capital City Suburb which seems to expect some kind of payment for the five months we lived there in 2005. They have got to be kidding!
- Used to always screw up our local taxes in No Longer Red State, because of byzantine rules about the relationship between the taxes you pay where you work and where you live (always eventually paid once we got the notice telling us how we'd screwed up).
Taxes are a total pain in the ass. Anyone who says they understand taxes is lying.
And here's the rub: I totally believe in taxes. In fact, I love taxes! Call me un-American or socialist or red or whatever you want, but I think it's just groovy to use my money on stuff that everyone needs, like roads and schools. I always pay my taxes, and I don't even try and ferret out hidden deductions to lessen my taxes. (I know this paragraph sounds all ironic and attitudinal, but it is truly heartfelt, and I've been saying it for years.)
So my tax offenses have nothing to do with trying not to pay taxes, and everything to do with the fact that life is complicated, and, well, sometimes being perfect on the tax front just isn't my highest priority. Especially since I realized long ago that I could never withstand the scrutiny attendant on running for political office (see: youthful indiscretions).
I'm sure a lot of these politicians with tax problems were trying to get away with something, but doesn't the fact that so many politicians have tax problems suggest that maybe there is as much wrong with the taxes as there is with the politicians? (And I'm not just saying this because they're Democrats.)
Update: Looks like Daschle's gone, which just sucks. He is a good guy.
And more: Looks like the experts basically agree with me. (And I always wonder why these are the posts that nobody comments on--am I just so brilliant that everyone is nodding and clicking to the next blog, or am I totally off base, or does nobody else get enraged about this shit?)