Saturday, February 19, 2005

The Difference Between M and E

My kids fit a pattern that is pretty prevalent among families I know (I won't venture into large-scale social generalizations): the compliant first child and the wild child second.

An example from this morning: We have lots of scrap paper easily available for drawing, story-writing, note-taking, painting, etc. E uses reams of it daily. We also have good paper (i.e. paper that does not have M's math homework or my work drafts on one side), but it is up in a cabinet. Good paper is for birthday cards, tea party menus, special pictures for Grandma, you get the difference. M, at eight, still asks when she wants some good paper. This morning, E, at four, walked into the kitchen, proudly clutching a piece of good paper and calling, "Look what I got!"

Today good paper, tomorrow cigarettes and malt liquor...

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

So it's not just my kids who are this way? My son is generally compliant and accommodating, but my daughter (though still quite young at 17 months) is showing all signs of being a rule-breaker.

rachel said...

Hi,
This is a good post. It gives me the information I was in search of.

Thanks.