Sunday, February 20, 2005

Haircut 100

Who dresses their kid up for a haircut? Did I miss a page of the parenting manual?

By four on Saturday afternoon, M and E are a mess. Yesterday, for instance, M still had marker on her hands and face (face? yes, face) from making a birthday card in the morning, and E’s shirt was painted with icing and ice cream from the birthday party, not to mention the permanent stain on her leggings, and the fact that M was wearing dirty pants because it was Saturday and we’d reached the end of the line, clean clothes speaking. So we stumbled in our Saturday sloppiness into the haircut place (I can’t call the place where they get their hair cut a salon--it’s got jeeps and airplanes for them to sit in, a DVD player at each station, and a slide, for god’s sake, but it’s cheap, and Miss Ginger does a hell of a job on both M’s stick-straight locks and E’s curls).

I swear it was like we’d arrived at the preschool prom. Girls in party dresses and pink shoes, boys in neat jeans and sports jerseys, parents--moms and dads--with not a hair out of place, and grandparents, not just grandparents, but grandparents galore, each neater and more dressed up than the next.

It’s kids. On Saturday. Getting haircuts.

These. People. Need. To. Chill.

[The. Dooce. Influence. Continues. But I promise I’ll stop now.]

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Heh. The dooce influence is a mighty pull. I have to restrain myself from using allcaps ALL. THE. TIME.

Our kids would look like they live in the same lived-in house, no? Lila always has marker on her face. Tyler almost always has some food on his clothes or the side of his face (and he's nearly 13!)

rachel said...

Hi,
This is a good post. It gives me the information I was in search of.

Thanks.