Thursday, January 06, 2005

HONEY Chocolate Cake

E: It’s not as good as the cake we had for my birthday party. [Editorial note: that would be the Old-Fashioned Chocolate Cake, currently in fourth place among the adults, but perhaps remembered fondly for sentimental reasons.]

M: I can only eat about three bites of it because it’s so chocolaty and sweet.

M: I feel like I’m being interviewed here.

E: I feel like I’m going to eat your blog.

It’s definitely sweet. But then what do you expect from a HONEY Chocolate Cake? I actually had a bad feeling about it, I can now confess. The batter was way sweet (as might be expected with 1 1/3 cups brown sugar and half a cup of honey), and at that point I realized that it was a HONEY cake, and we’re not really crazy about HONEY cake. In fact, this Rosh Hashanah, I turned to S and said “skip the HONEY cake?” and he said “yup,” and like that we were rid of the tradition and happily too.

But it does taste good. And it’s definitely moist. Still, M’s right: you just can’t eat too much of it. In fact, you don’t even want to, it’s that sweet, only it’s not just sweet, it’s a kind of tangy that is appealing for one bite but not a whole piece. Of course if you were a HONEY cake lover, you might have a very different response.

So S and I agree that so far it’s third on the list, after Chocolate Gingerbread and Quadruple Chocolate Loaf Cake, which are battling for first, to the point where I think we may be heading for a bake-off. And now I must go find a neighbor who wants half a HONEY Chocolate Cake.

No comments: