Friday, February 04, 2005

Violent Urges

Living in Red State Capital City Suburb, I know a lot of people who voted for Bush, support the war, oppose abortion, and generally stand behind all those things 49% of the country finds abhorrent. I tend to be pretty smug about it too, loftily lecturing my blue state friends about how it’s more complicated than the media makes it out to be, and they’re not all cretins, and we need to take people’s beliefs seriously, and all that. But I drove to work today behind a woman driving a minivan with “Bush-Cheney” and “It’s Easy to Support Abortion When You’re Not The One Being Killed” bumper stickers, and I just wanted to get out of my car, wrench her door open, and smack her.

I skipped the State of the Union because I was exhausted from my trip and the guy makes me crazy. Besides, I knew what he would say: everything’s great in Iraq, social security is in crisis, it’s a privilege for you to pay for your own health care, and all I want is to help people own a lot of shit--like me.

But today’s headlines are making me crazy enough.

Attacking Iran “is not on the agenda at this point”? So when do you plan to put it on the agenda, Condi?

“It’s fun to shoot some people”? Hello?!?! This from a “senior Marine general,” and y’all say Abu Ghraib was an aberration?

I can’t even come up with a cute line about Gonzales or Social Security.

Sometimes I just want to scream as loud and as long as I can, and then go smack people. A lot of people.

No comments: