Thursday, April 28, 2005

Cranky Mom and Reading Girl

In case you can't tell, I've been cranky mom lately. And M has been reading girl, and you know how I feel about that.

Last night, she got home from swim practice and immediately sat on the couch to read her book. But when you get home from swim practice at 8:15, your task is to go straight into the kitchen for snack, and we do not read during snack (a rule instituted after many prolonged bedtimes due to reading during snack). I--being cranky mom at the end of my rope who had already had to call her half a dozen times for homework and then for dinner--yelled. Then I announced that I wasn't going to deal with her anymore. Luckily S was home to deal with her. He took the book out of her hands and sent her straight into the kitchen for snack.

After eating snack, your task is to go straight upstairs and take your shower. I went upstairs first, and she arrived moments later, WITH THE BOOK IN HER HAND. Did she read walking up the stairs? I think perhaps she did. Was she planning to read in the shower? I think perhaps she was. Did I tell her she could not read and why on earth had she gotten the book? I'm quite sure I did.

But then she gave me a big hug and cried "But the book is soooo gooood!" and my heart melted. I told her I really did know how she felt and I just wanted to read my book too. So we decided that she would take her shower as quick as she could while I read my book in the bathroom, and then, instead of reading a bedtime book aloud (having gotten bored with Jo's Boys, we are between bedtime books), we would snuggle up in her bed and both read our books. So we did. And now we are friends again.

Until the next time.

[We also decided that sometime soon we are going to go out, just the two of us, and have a reading day, just sit in a cafe all day and read. And, M insists, go out to lunch.]

4 comments:

Libby said...

this one's so hard! I run into it with Nick as well, who will read under the covers with a flashlight. Like I never did that myself. ;) When I was his age, I read in the shower, in bed, while getting dressed, and whenever else I could, though --as in your house-- books at meals were strictly banned. My dad still has to be prompted to put his book down during Christmas festivities, so we all come by it honestly. But when it interferes with nutrition, sleep, etc., then I, too, become cranky mom!

(So, what book is it that's SOOO good right now?)

bitchphd said...

Wow, that is so great. So, so great.

thatgirl said...

I had to read this out loud to Matt. El-Oh-El on this one. Did you ever imagine this would be your mothering life?

Anonymous said...

Oh, I was (AM) That Reader. I must have been the despair of my mother, who (bless her heart) raised two of Those Readers. I would have died from pure joy at a day spent reading with her in a cafe.

Mine is only six and I've found him with the book and flashlight under the covers more than once.