Saturday, June 04, 2005

In Which I Reveal How Slovenly We Truly Are

We have ants.

This is not in itself as damning as it might sound. Every year, right around now, all the ants in Red State Capital City Suburb decide that they would rather be inside, which is kind of funny, because right about now, all the people decide that they would rather be outside. Then again, maybe that's why the ants come in.

Only the most vigilant of homemakers can vanquish them, and we are not so vigilant as all that. Usually they hang out for a week or so, we are disgusted and discuss them at great length but don't do much about them, and then they leave.

This year, however, the ants have decided not only that they would rather be inside, but that they would rather be inside the dishwasher. Which on the one hand means they are not swarming the counters, which makes their presence in general somewhat less disgusting. On the other hand, it means that when you open the dishwasher to put in a dish you are confronted with hordes of swarming ants, and when you open the dishwasher after it has run, you are confronted with swarms of drowned ants. This is truly disgusting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure which is worse- ants in my pants or ants in my dishwasher...

Anonymous said...

I just got a new refrigerator, with nice, tight rubber seals.

My old refrigerator was where the ants went to escape the heat. There would be gazillions of dead ants in the freezer. I don't know what they were after, because there was never any food in there! [someone told me ants like mildew] But I did discover that frozen dead ants are pretty easy to clean up; just vacuum 'em up with the crevice attachment of your vacuum cleaner.

The only year I didn't have major ant infestation was the year they were doing aerial malathion spraying for the Medflys. I have to put my cat food dishes in pie tins of soapy water.