Thursday, November 24, 2005

Not the Obligatory Thanksgiving Post

I know I'm supposed to blog about what I'm thankful for. And I am thankful, really, I am. For all the standard things. My family, the roof over our head, S's job, and, especially, the remarkable health of the entire extended family (knock a forestful of wood).

But there are a lot of other things I'd like to be thankful for, and I'm not in the mood to just be glad for what I've got.

I'd like to be thankful that the war is over.

I'd like to be thankful that this Republican interregnum has finally come to an end.

I'd like to be thankful that we have such wise and reasonable souls on the Supreme Court.

I'd like to be thankful that we responded to Hurricane Katrina, not just by caring adequately for the victims, but by addressing the fundamental issues of poverty and environmental depredation that made this natural disaster so much worse than it had to be.

I'd like to be thankful that the education establishment finally realized the limitations of standardized tests and the importance of art and creativity in the classroom.

I'd like to be thankful that the United States was joining with the rest of the world to combat global warming.

I'd like to be thankful for peace in the Middle East.

I'd like to be thankful that Nick and Jessica finally admitted it was over. Oh yeah, I can be thankful for that!

Today Nick and Jessica...tomorrow Britney and Kevin. And maybe the next day peace in the Middle East.

2 comments:

LilySea said...

Who the ARE Nick and Jessica? I see them all the time on magazine covers, but where did they come from and how did they become famous such that everyone cares about their relationship (is it a marriage?).

I'd be thankful to finally understand this mystery.

Anonymous said...

oh my god. thank you so much for that post. i have been totally out of the gossip loop and didn't hear about the N & J bombshell until I read your post!!

can you believe that i've lost touch with the gossip world?!!