Friday, September 28, 2007

I'll Take a Week by Myself in the Maldives Now

S has had two days off since we returned from our vacation September 4. One of those was Yom Kippur (he worked the morning of Erev Rosh Hashanah and the evening of Rosh Hashanah). In addition, he has had a small handful of evenings off. Maybe four. I think he's been averaging 80 hour weeks (that's cross-referencing the 85 hour weeks with the weeks when he gets an evening or two, or even a day, off).

Here are some things I have done on my own:

- at least 20 bedtimes

- approximately 20 lice combings

- visits with his parents, my parents, and my sister

- two soccer practices and a half dozen swim practices

- a lot of homework supervision

- opening day parent meeting at Hebrew School

- two meet-the-new-principal meetings

- two school open houses

- I'd say 90% of the shopping (food, cleats, goggles and swim caps, etc.), laundry (including multiple loads of potentially lice-infected sheets and towels), cleaning (100% on that), and cooking (not so much)

- almost all of the cranky child coping

I'm really kind of over this. As Mary Poppins says (in one of our favorite quotes), "Patience falling, tempers rising."

(On the positive side: M and E are getting along well, for the most part, and I can leave them alone when I need to, which makes logistics easier than they used to be.)

No comments: