Sunday, March 16, 2008

Finishing Up With the Sunday Times

Despite the slightly mocking tone that is the raison d'etre of the Style section, the organic farmers article definitely tracks a reality I'm seeing. Of course my connection to the restaurant business and all the time I've spent in the country give me a slightly broader farmer acquaintance than most, but just last month I found out about another friend who's started a farm--leaving behind filmmaking, which may say more about her adherence to the zeitgeist than her devotion to farming, but that's another story.

Walter Kirn is more incoherent than ever in his front-page review of Richard Price's new novel in the Book Review. I'm tempted to parse the incoherence, but a blog with more than one close reading a day seems problematic, and Flanagan got there first.

As for transmen at women's colleges, we already canvassed this one in the local paper's Sunday magazine several months ago. Call me old-fashioned, but I don't see why you would want to be at a woman's college if you're a man. Become a man; give up being a woman; the women's college goes. By the same token, I'm A-OK with MTFs at Michigan.

No comments: