Monday, March 24, 2008

I Am So Very Tired

Yes, because it's late, and once again I meant to be in bed so early, but then the person with whom I'm coordinating a project at E's school came over, and our meeting stretched, and then I had to deal with my email, and now it's now.

But really I am tired because, well, because it's been a long, cold, lonely winter, except that it hasn't been particularly lonely, except when I was depressed and isolated in February. It has been long and cold, though, and grueling. I have had a boatload of work, but the kicker, I realized today, was that I went from an enormous project I'd been working on for two months and finally finished, straight into dealing with a non-work crisis. Like: straight. Like: I finished the project on March 12, at around noon, made a phone call, and 45 minutes later was enmeshed in a crisis from which we did not emerge until this weekend. So I'd spent two months thinking constantly about work, and then went into ten days of thinking constantly about the crisis--at least in this thinking I was joined by S--and then the crisis started lifting on Friday, and lifted on Saturday, and, well, now I understand why all I wanted to do this weekend was sleep.

You know how in The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People they have that grid with urgent/not urgent on one axis and important/not important on the other? (Truly this is the only thing I know about The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People, so I assume everyone knows it, but maybe you don't, but you get the picture, don't you?) To be effective, you're supposed to spend the majority of your time in not urgent/important. I feel like I've spent the last three months in urgent/important. Today I spent the day at work puttering around in not urgent/not important. I think I'd like to stay there for a while. And get some sleep.

2 comments:

Libby said...

glad the crisis has lifted; hope you get a few more days of puttering, at least.

landismom said...

As one who is deeply enmeshed in 'urgent/important' right now, I am quite sympathetic to your plight! Hope you get to do the less urgent stuff for a while.