Tuesday, March 04, 2008

What's Up With Texas?

Could someone explain to me how they caucus AND vote? Sinda?

Here in Town, we voted today for the third of four times this winter/spring. I am not kidding. Actually, I shouldn't say we, because for maybe the second or third time in my life, I did not vote. I don't like the Democrat and can't vote for the Republican because he refuses to take a stand on choice or gay marriage. There's a third guy, but I don't know anything about him, and I left the house at 7 this morning and got home at 7 this evening, and it's raining. So no vote from me, though next time I'll be there, as that one will be school committee, which really matters.

Meanwhile, E pointed out this evening, with great glee, that we vote for president every year that's there's February 29!

2 comments:

Sinda said...

Yes I can!

I was just getting into blogger to post about it when I saw your post, so come read about it - I'm a delegate! Well, only for the county convention, but it will be cool to see how the process works.

Sinda said...

Hey, just saw your follow-up questions. Yes, if you vote but don't caucus, your vote still counts. Many people only voted - have only ever voted. The popular vote is determined by voting, but the delegate count is determined purely by the caucus. That's how Hillary won the popular vote in Texas, yet Obama won more delegates.

The delegates he won last night will vote for County delegates, who in turn will vote for State delegates, who in turn go to Denver. These delegates are pledged delegates, whereas the Superdelegates aren't pledged and can turn on a dime.

I'm learning this all as I go, btw - like I said, it's NEVER mattered before!