Thursday, July 31, 2008

Four Posts In One

Hasta La Vista, Manny

I have to say, I was a "Manny being Manny" girl for a really long time.  I was even unfazed when he pushed the guy down.  But this week I hit the wall.  Playing games in the Green Monster is one thing, and, yeah, I liked that part, and I liked the hits too, but this week, we got down to pure greed and bad sportsmanships.  Look dude, you've made $160 million with the Sox, you're 36 years old, you should be fucking grateful for your fabulous life, not pissed off because they won't talk contract till the end of the season.  And, you should be playing your ass off, so that you either convince them they still want you, or you make everyone else salivate for your free agency.

We may be even worse without him, but he had to go.

(Sorry about the lack of links, but either you know what I'm talking about, or you don't care.  Take my word for it.)

Whence Coffee Yogurt?

Am I the only person who wonders what happened to coffee yogurt?  Does everyone else already know?  Or does nobody else miss it?  I'm not much of a yogurt person, but I go through phases.  I remember when I used to eat a Dannon coffee yogurt for lunch every day.  Yum.   When I get a yogurt craving, it's always for a coffee yogurt, and today I got the craving, and there I was in Whole Foods, facing a wall of yogurt: fruit yogurt, chocolate yogurt, caramel yogurt, yogurt this, yogurt that, a half dozen brands of yogurt, and not a single coffee yogurt, not even cappuccino.  I got maple.  It was not the same.

However, just last week we got some coffee syrup.  We've been having coffee milk.  Yum.  I'm thinking maybe plain yogurt and coffee syrup?

The Game of Life

I can't tell you how much I hate that game.  My kids love it, but I can usually wriggle my way out of it, but today I have been in good-game-playing Mommy mode.  I played Whatever's Next (great game!) and SmartMouth (also a great game!) with E this afternoon, and then we were about to play Life, because I was in good-game-playing Mommy mode, but M came home, and we decided to go swimming, so I was saved, but then after dinner they decided to play, and they wanted me to play too, so being good-game-playing Mommy, I agreed, but I hate that game.  First of all, it's incredibly boring.  Second of all, it seems to always involve fighting (along with, I must admit, great and fairly cute enthusiasm).  Third of all, it's all about the money.  Even when you go to the Grand Canyon and get a Life card, you ultimately trade it in for money.  Great lesson.  Yuck.  (M: Just pretend you're a nine-year-old girl and you don't care that it's teaching kids about venture capitalism.)

A Few Other Things

E has impetigo.  You have never seen such medicine-taking drama in your life!  (The impetigo, or rather the medicine, is why we played so many games today: She's taking Bactrim and it's making her sick, plus she's supposed to stay out of the sun, which we've been lax about, and we think that's making her sicker, so today we stayed home and out of the sun, and she was indeed less sick.)

M had her first real paid babysitting job today!  She also made dinner: croque monsieurs and French potato salad.  It was delicious.  I think if she can support herself and feed herself, I may be out of a job.

OK, that was just two other things.  Nothing much else is worth blogging.

4 comments:

Bette said...

I had no idea about Manny until I read it here. I need closure!

addy said...

I was at Bay's first game on Friday and it was electric. I was so excited for him. The whole place stood every time he was up to bat. Good riddance to Manny and his tude. I bought two new hats and the biggest B you'll ever see for my car. My grandmother loves coffee yogurt. You're a dork. Cheers to M and her croque monsieurs. Yum!

Unknown said...

Brown Cow Cream on the Top yogurt comes in coffee. I buy it at Whole Foods all the time. I bought it at the Whole Foods in Cranston, RI, and I buy it at the one near my house. It's not lowfat, but it's coffee! And as for Manny - his ego is greater than his talent!

Libby said...

Funny, my grandmother was a big coffee yogurt fan, too, and my mom likes it as well. Me, not so much a yogurt fan, but if I were, I'd be so with you. Also, congrats to M on the paying gig and the meal--I say put her to work as much as you can! (I'm all about exploiting child labor...)