Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Rules

There are some rules we follow because, well, because they're rules and following them keeps society functioning. Such rules include stopping at red lights and bringing your passport when you leave the country.

Then there are rules we follow because they make a lot of sense. When we tell other people about such rules, they nod and are impressed that we are such sensible beings. Sometimes they even decide to implement the rules themselves. This kind of rule includes packing a fruit or vegetable in M's lunch every day, or going to bed by 9:30 when you have to get up at 5:00 for work (that last one is S's rule, not mine).

Then there are the idiosyncratic rules that are just your own private nutty thing. The ones that would make other people raise their eyebrows and wonder why you are such a freak. (I'm not talking about people with OCD--I'm talking about all of us. Come on, you know you have some weird rules.) For instance, I have a problem getting out of the shower. I love the shower. I could stay in a hot shower forever. So I made a rule to get myself out of the shower: I count to 25, and then I get out of the shower. I must get out of the shower at 25. And I do. It's the rule. (Though sometimes I count really slow.)

When I started blogging, I made a rule that I had to post every day, except when I'm out of town (thank god I'm going out of town this weekend). I don't know why I follow this rule--actually, I kind of do: because Dawn said that I needed to post every day if I wanted people to read my blog, and because the blog itself is meant to be an exercise in writing discipline.

So anyways, I'm posting, and to make having read this worth your while, I strongly urge you to check out get your war on because it's much more entertaining that I am today.

1 comment:

Meagan Francis said...

Becca, that is too funny, because I do the same thing in the shower! Only I count to 15. Somehow it's comforting to know that even after I'm done washing my hair, face, and various other bits, that I've got a whole 15-count where I can just stand in the warm water and do nothing. It feels so luxurious!