Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Zuni Cafe

Back in the early 90s, Zuni Café was one of our favorite restaurants. It had the Best Oysters, the Best Caesar Salad, the Best Roast Chicken (that one I can’t attest to personally, but its Bestness is a truth universally acknowledged), the Best Espresso Granita, and the Best Adorable Bartenders. One night around 1993, we were waiting for a table at the bar with K and D. K and I were flirting with that night’s Adorable Bartender, as was our wont, and we asked him to make us something fun to drink. He told us we needed to try this great new cocktail called a Cosmopolitan, and that’s how we ended up drinking Cosmopolitans long before Carrie Bradshaw was even a gleam in Darren Star’s eye.

The other night S and I were hanging out at the bar at Zuni, waiting for a table, and for once I was flirting with my husband instead of the Adorable Bartender (who looked a lot like the Adorable Cosmopolitan Bartender, though I, alas, look a lot older). But I did get intrigued by the drink the Adorable Bartender was mixing, and when I asked him what it was, he gave me a taste, and that’s how the Meyer Lemon Drop officially entered the pantheon of Best Cocktails Ever.

[Fresh-squeezed Meyer lemon juice, Cointreau, and vodka, with super-fine sugar on the rim.]

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Ooooh, two of my favorite drinks, evah!