Saturday, March 26, 2005

Sorry About That

I went away. I'm still away. I'm in East Coast Big City doing stuff. I meant to post my usual "I'll be away," but things got complicated.

We were supposed to leave Thursday morning. I checked the weather Wednesday afternoon and it said there would be ten inches of wet heavy snow in Blue State starting at midnight. I panicked, because getting from Red State Capital City to East Coast Big City is notoriously impossible at the best of times. S switched my flight to Wednesday night, and I picked up the girls, packed in 30 minutes, and got us to the airport with time to spare.

The flight was cancelled due to weather (though there was not a speck of snow anywhere in the vicinity of anywhere). They rescheduled us for the next morning on the plane we were originally supposed to take. We stayed at a hotel by the airport because I couldn't bear to drive the up-to-now-impeccably-well-behaved-but-getting-understandably-frustrated children back to Red State Capital City Suburb only to turn around ten hours later to drive back to the airport. Children were happy. I was stressed.

In the morning we got bumped. A moron spent 45 minutes reticketing us on another airline which was vastly superior to the first upon which we will never travel again, except to use up the vouchers we got for enduring this catastrophe. We finally arrived at our destination just 22 hours and 15 minutes after we'd left home. There was no snow. Luckily my 1:00 meeting was organized by an angelic assistant who rescheduled it for 3:00. Even more luckily I had long since reached the zen state of no resistance, so I was not stressed.

I tried to blog yesterday, or maybe the day before, but forgot my password. Oh, and in the rush of leaving I left the computer in my office on, so all my email downloaded there and I couldn't access it until my secretary, another angel, went into my office, read me my email, and turned off the computer.

This morning I remembered my password. So here I am, but now I'm signing off to return to the pleasures of East Coast Big City. Actually, I'm signing off to work while the girls and S--who arrived last night in the appropriate 3 1/2 hours door to door--enjoy the pleasures of East Coast Big City, Uncle J, and Cousin T. But I'll get pleasures later.

Back on Monday with more exciting blogging. Unless more bad things happen. Which seems likely.

No comments: