Monday, July 10, 2006

Fashion Post 1: Bras

There will be a series of fashion posts, I believe. I had planned one long fashion post, for which I had a most excellent title: A Very Long Post in which I Am Variously Fashion Backward, Belatedly Fashion Forward, and Fashion Befuddled. But I am very tired, for various familial and professional reasons, and I can only handle one topic, which would have been Fashion Befuddled. There will be more later. Perhaps.

S says I have already written a post about bras. I say not really. Besides, you can never have too many posts about bras. So hence and forthwith: a few recent thoughts on bras:

1) When did sheer plastic bra straps come into vogue, and why did I never notice them until last week, and why do I now see them everywhere? And do people really think we're not going to notice? And how could they possibly be comfortable? (And don't you think there are just some people who need to accept that they shouldn't wear halter tops?)

2) Today I saw someone wearing her bra on top of her tank top. With a wide belt around her waist. Over a long tank top down to her hips. I must have missed that fashion directive.

3) I am currently fascinated by cleavage, perhaps due to my new penchant for tight tops, which would have been the topic of Belatedly Fashion Forward, and may still yet, if I ever get to it. Also perhaps due to the fact that I have none. Cleavage, that is, not tight tops. And I think that heterosexual women without cleavage may be the people most woefully lacking information thereupon, because women with cleavage know how it works because they have it, and lesbians and heterosexual men can explore the cleavage of others, and gay men, well, they just know everything. But being a heterosexual woman without cleavage, I don't get it. Like: is cleavage a matter of size or position? Anatomy or brassierology? If you have cleavage sometimes, does that mean you always have it? Is it pleasant to have cleavage?

I'd guess it's more pleasant to have cleavage than to wear a bra with plastic straps, or to wear your bra over your shirt. Then again, one could have cleavage in a bra with plastic straps worn over your shirt. And now my head is going to explode and I must go to bed.

Edited to add: Cleavage seems to be the main area of interest here (come on, guys, plastic bra straps?? or are they just too obvious to even comment upon, and I'm a dork?). My fundamental question remains unanswered, however, perhaps because I didn't really ask it. So here it is: If one has cleavage when clad, does one still have it when naked? General comments still welcome, of course, but inquiring minds really want to know.

10 comments:

jackie said...

I don't have cleavage. I think for me, it's less a matter of size than position, thought I am certainly not large-breasted.

I also have come into an era of tight tops somewhat later than lots of people do, I think. I'm much more comfortable in my body now than I was when I was younger, oddly enough.

Clear straps? Why not just wear a strapless bra?

Susan said...

Hmmm. I have had cleavage since I was ten and I positively HATE it. In fact, I hate all boobs that are bigger than a teacup. (a dainty English teacup, not a coffee mug)

bitchphd said...

I think the point of the Wonder Bra is to create cleavage in smaller women; if you can push your boobs together and up and create cleavage, a bra can do the same.

Cleavage is kind of cool to have. It makes lower necklines very attractive. The downside is in very hot humid weather, when wearing a bra is terribly uncomfortable but not wearing one is not an option.

(Strapless bras suck, imho.)

Susan said...

I don't know, bitchphd, I don't think cleavage+ lower necklines is attractive at all, but that's just my opinion. I am forever searching for a bra that will separate my boobs as much as possible. It's like having my thighs rub together when I walk - I feel like it's a function of being FAT. Ugh.

Anonymous said...

If one has cleavage when clad, one most certainly, almost always does NOT have cleavage when naked. I believe the phrase is, "the bigger they are, the harder they fall." Such are the woes of this woman with cleavage. I'm always having to hoist them up and would gladly give my cleavage away to those less (un)fortunate.

postacademic said...

For what it's worth, clear bra straps were very popular in Northern Wisconsin. I think the idea is that you wear a full-on bra under your tank top, yes, without anyone "noticing."

Remember the early 90s bra-straps-defiantly-revealed trend? That was the last time I wore a tank top in public. Strapless bras are impossible; they always end up around my waist.

dykewife said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
dykewife said...

1. clear bra straps are for those who don't want a solid colour bra strap showing up against their tan (or lack of) when they wear tank tops. i guess some people think they look better than the other kind. *shrug*

2. clevage is nearly always created by bras. no matter how pert the large breasts, without a bra they don't naturally squeeze together to create that cleft of skin. that said, i don't have enough tit to create a clevage unless my nipples like to sit side by side..and they don't.

Susan said...

Plastic bra straps sound like something that could cause blisters. Sweaty and silly looking.

Varun said...

The Best Fashion Designing Institute in Chennai is here to build a great career for you in the fashion industry and make you a world-class designer.