Monday, July 24, 2006

No Thanks to Candy

I met this really cool woman. She was wearing a fabulous outfit that had not a shred of black in it. She had great shoes. She is a color consultant and a designer and a party planner, and while that may sound frivolous, it was incredibly cool because she was just so cool and goes about those things in a cool and meaningful way. And there was something she knew about, I can't remember what it was, maybe a new ice cream place? and she said she'd heard about it through Daily Candy, and Daily Candy was the best.

I'd heard of Daily Candy, because a certain restaurant in which I have a certain emotional investment was featured in Daily Candy the day it opened, and I just can't tell you how cool I thought this woman was, and, you know, you meet someone that cool, and you want their shoes and their haircut and their website, because you want to be cool like them, even though you know you won't be, but at least you'll have the website, right? So I subscribed to Daily Candy for a couple of places that are meaningful to me.

And then the emails started coming. And coming. And coming. And I'm one of those people who has a hard time deleting emails without reading them, even if I don't care. And the thing is, I really didn't care about Daily Candy. Because, basically, and probably everyone already knew this except me, it is just about shopping, except when it is about restaurants, and I like shopping (no, I don't, really, but I like having new stuff that I like) and I like restaurants, but I'm not so rich, like Daily Candy seems to think I am, and the bottom line is, all those places to shop and eat, well, they were just pretty much boring.

Only I don't think the cool woman is boring! I think she's cool! And I still want her stuff! I just don't have the patience for her Daily Candy. Which is probably why I don't have such nice stuff. And am not as cool. And unsubscribed to Daily Candy about five minutes ago.

Oh well.

No comments: