Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Music Post 2: The Jayhawks, et al

A nice piece in the Sunday Times about alt-country, that shows why it's kind of a useless term, and in so doing, citing many of my (our) favorites, going back to Gram, and largely via the Jayhawks, whom I (we) have quite loved over the years, shows also why that thread of American music is such a favorite of mine (ours). (Because really, as I hasten to remind any and all, at any and all opportunities, I am a total poseur when it comes to music--except for Carly Simon--and all my musical opinions are courtesy of S, who made me read the article, since I find the Arts & Entertainment section, or whatever it's called, pretty much unbearable, and never look at it, unless he points something out to me.) (Because really, I am the kind of wife who is simply a shadow of my husband.)

2 comments:

thatgirl said...

THANK YOU for this!

(can you tell I'm catching up?)

thatgirl said...

... also, did I tell you about the time I saw the Jayhawks in Government Center -- by myself because no one I knew liked that music -- and between bands I walked over a windy grate and my brown sundress flew up to my shoulders? Embarrassing at the time, but now I'm almost nostalgic for that thong flash. And the show kicked ass. It was just after "Smile" came out and I danced around to "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me" with little baby college students.

Good times.