Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Itching

You may think you know what it's like, but you don't. Unless you do.

John Updike knows. I once read a passage from his book about psoriasis, and I knew he knew. I couldn't bear to read the book.

If you know that it's best to scratch around the itch, that light fingernails are better than digging, that the best thing of all is a piercing hot shower directed right at it, then you know. If you've ever read on a website that some people cure poison ivy by pouring bleach on it, and thought that sounded good to you, you know. If you have grown expert at gauging the exact moment when pleasure will turn to pain, and you have taught yourself to stop there, wait a moment, and then go on, you know.

If you had a bad case of poison ivy once, or you hate mosquito bites, you don't know.

E knows. She spent her four and a half years in Red State Capital City Suburb itching. She had scaly red rashes in the cracks of her elbow and I could tell when she was about to get an ear infection because she would start to scratch her head. It's been better since we moved to East Coast Big City, but it's bad again in the summer. She likes me to run my nails up and down her spine. I keep hers clipped down to the skin. Still, her mosquito bites are all red and scabbed over.

When I was a kid, it was mainly the poison ivy, and I won't go into the dilemma of whether to scratch when it's oozing. It got bad, though, when I was 22 and after minor surgery developed an allergy to adhesive tape. The white kind. That they use to hold the bandages on.

After that, it was open season on my skin, and I never knew when it would strike, or why. Once I spent days scratching the top of my feet, then looked down and realized the rash was in the pattern of my new criss-cross leather sandals. Strike Bass from the list of possibilities (probably a good thing, fashion-wise). I try to limit myself, strictly, to hypoallergenic cosmetics, but once it was a sample tub of Clinique eye cream. When I gave birth to E, it was the disposable absorbent pads on the hospital bed, and the pain of the rash all over my backside was worse than the pain of the stitches. My first shower was all about the bliss of the blistering hot water on the itch, not the blood washing away down my thighs.

It started going systemic maybe 10, 15 years ago. I'd get the itch, then I'd see the rash, then I'd get nauseous and feverish. And the rash would pop up in other places, places which I knew hadn't touched the sandal or the sweater or the lotion. And the poison ivy, my god, the poison ivy.

The worst is when I don't know what's causing it. Like this time. I suspect it's some liquid soap I let M pick out a few weeks ago, hypoallergenic soap for sensitive skin. Ha. I don't know what else it could be, because it's all over the place. There's a patch on the front of my left ankle, and one on the inside, swollen out around the ankle bone, both of those red, raised and defined. There's a slash down my right shin. It's on the outside of my forearms, just below my elbows: you can't see it there (yet), but you can feel the bumps. I think it's moving down to my wrists, too. And it's on the back of my neck, where I can't see it, but S says there are nasty red bumps. And I'm feeling sick. And it's been hot. And I'm scared it's going to come out on my face, which feels kind of tight.

I took a luke-warm Aveeno bath and felt great while I was in it, then horrendous when I got out. I slather on my current ointment of choice (Aveeno, again, with 1% hydrocortisone--another way to know you know is if you firmly believe in steroids). I guess I won't be going running till it's gone. I guess I won't be getting waxed before we go to the beach. I hope it's better on Friday when I have a long drive. I hope the heat wave is really ending. I hope it doesn't spread to my face. I hope I can sleep through the night. Maybe I'll take an Advil. Maybe two.

Or maybe I'll scratch.

7 comments:

dykewife said...

empathies and sympathies. a couple of years ago i broke out into a rash that is a form of rosaecea. it's most frequently a childhood condition, but i had it. i took aveeno baths, i used hydrocortisone cream, i took antihistamines...anything to make it stop itching. at night, i had to wear socks over my hands because i would scratch in my sleep. i was rash from soles of my feet to the bottoms of my ears. luckily, it didn't get on my face. for two weeks, until the last weal settled into a stain on my skin, i itched like i'd never itched before.

had i been someone who was previously conscious of her body before maybe it wouldn't have been quite so horrendous, but i was used to shutting off my body. being conscious of my entire body all the time, and all at once was like having each musician in 15 differen orchestras playing a different song at the same time. i was overloaded. actually, i'm quite surprised i didn't end up on the psych ward because of it.

i hope your rash goes away quickly and that you're able to get back to normal life very quickly.

Rachel said...

Drink lots of water, take Omega 3-6-9, drink water with lemon to flush out your body and stay cool. In the summer the body gets too hot from foods and weather and it actually dries out the body.

Anonymous said...

Oh god, that sounds like such a nightmare. My sister gets an itchy rash all around her mouth (swollen and red and ugly) whenever she's really really stressed but she doesn't get horrible itches anywhere else.

Hope you trace the demon down soon and get rid of it!!!

Libby said...

ooh, I feel your pain, Becca. Only once have I had such a rash, really--I had to get out of bed in the middle of the night and change the sheets and scratch and cry and shower and it still didn't help...nothing did. But hot weather does seem to bring out the worst of such things. Hope it goes away soon.

Anonymous said...

E's rash sounds like eczema to me if it is in the elbow/knee creases. My dd6 has it. I highly Zyrtec for the itching/scratching! (Eczema is the itch that rashes rather than the rash that itches) -AML

postacademic said...

And don't forget oatmeal baths or compresses! I remember taking cold baths with oatmeal when I was a kid with chicken pox and I recently had occasion to do so again - it helped the itch and let me sleep BUT also gave me a UTI! (urinary tract infection for those of you lucky enough not to be plagued with those things).

Anonymous said...

Dear Becca,

I'm from UK, Male, 30. When I was around 18 I developed Seboric Dermititis / Eczema and Psoriasis and proceeded to itch for 4 years. 4 years. 4 loong years. It is too painful to recall the memories. With it I developed Insomnia. And they say your University years are the best in your life! I would not know. It was awful. Words can not explain how it changed me as a person.

Just one word of warning. Please please do not overdo it with the hydrocortisone. It is perhaps the nastiest most deceptive piece of biological warfare that I have ever experienced. At first it was fantastic - like a honeymoon - you could notice the difference. After years of use my skin grew thin and 'hypersensitive' and I needed more and more cream to feel even ok.. I would not wish it on my worst enemy. Please avoid it altogether. There is no quick fix in life. Your conndition seems to be a form of Contact Dermititis so a number of the points below may not apply to you (they may help E) but please allow me to tell you what worked for me. Something might help you. A few Do's and Don'ts that did help me:

Do:
-use Aveeno Oat based cream to stay mositurised, this will prevent dry rashes which will ease itching
-use Urea based shampoos (Eucerin)
-use Urea based creams (E45 Itch Relief)*
-get tested for allergies (I was alergic to dairy and wheat and that worsened the psoriasis) (prob doesn't apply to you)
-bathe daily in order to rehydrate your skin and then 'seal' with urea based creams. The water must not be too hot and never rub with the towel, try to pat instead.
-Use Shea butter based lotion with promotes healiing of skin
-Be patient and never give up hope

Don't:
-Try not to use Steroid based creams. Ever.
-Avoid antihistimines
-Avoid sleeping pills or any other suppressants - your body is trying to tell you something. Don't gag it, try to find the root cause.
-Homeopathy in this case does not work. Don't waste your time. I tried it for years.

Most of all don't give up. How was I cured? It was all down to one thing: Time.



All my regards,

J.