Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Work

It's only 11:30 the night before, and I've already gotten four birthday emails which is very nice. I've also had a birthday dinner and cake, because tomorrow S will be at work, so there was some preliminary celebrating, though no presents till the morning.

But what I really want to write about is work. And I must start with a story about a very dear friend who once, when another friend said he was going to Hawaii for his honeymoon, said that was great because he wouldn't need an adapter for his laptop. And she didn't understand why we all laughed. OK, that's the story.

I have a few friends who live to work. They work all the time, they go crazy when they can't work, their work gives them enormous pleasure, and some of them reading this know who they are.

I have not really ever been such a person. I at times do love my work, and I love to love my work, and I have made a point over the last year of moving toward more work that I love. But I also love to not work, and I am particularly good at reading novels and, especially, at dropping everything for a vacation.

But right now I am feeling a little vacationed out. And a little childrened out. And a little familied out. And a little errands and logistics and bills to pay-ed out. And I have a lot of work, some of which I just have to do, and some of which I want to do, and some of which I am dying to get to, once I get past the things I need to do. Really, right now, what I most want to do is work--and maybe read a few novels. And do yoga.

So I thought about taking my birthday off, because I can, which is a very nice thing about my current work. But then I realized that instead of taking the day off I could work. And that's what I wanted to do. So that's what I'm going to do. Oh, I'm also going to take a yoga class. And go out for another birthday dinner. And maybe get a few presents. And not balance the checkbook or put away M's trunk.

Then in a few days I'm going to go away again, for a while this time, and then I will finally have time to really work. And I won't even need an adapter for the laptop!

5 comments:

Dawn said...

You know a person should tell a person if she is calling the first person the day before her birthday! Because this person is not good about remembering such things! So you'll just have to get a virtual happy birthday!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY, Love, S (not the one you are married to)

Libby said...

happy birthday! and have a good day at work. Sometimes that really is the best place to be...

Phantom Scribbler said...

Happy birthday!

Jenny Davidson said...

Yes, happy birthday, from your work-loving friend in NY! (I like yoga and novel-reading also. But I like work more than anything else....)