Sunday, July 02, 2006

A Post

I was going to write a long post about recent movies, because I saw THREE movies in the movie theater this week, including The Devil Wears Prada ON THE DAY IT OPENED. And I finally saw Lost in Translation a few weeks ago, and loved it, to my surprise, because often those kind of indie-ish movies that everyone loves, I don't love them so much, but Lost in Translation was so original, and Bill Murray and Scarlett Johannson (my new obsession) were so good, and I could so relate to the insomnia and the crazy expat partying and the intense platonic-but-borderline-not connection, though not Japan, which has never particularly interested me, aside from the food, which I can get here, and no, I have not read Murakami, though I suppose sooner or later I will bow to Lucy's will and do so, and I can't quite finesse the grammatical segue to the end of this sentence, so I will just go complex, or perhaps it is compound, and say that I did love Lost in Translation. The Devil Wears Prada I did not love so much. As I said to the internet friend I met in person this week though it seemed like we'd always known each other, it was that normal to hang out with her, "Given how bad the book was, I didn't think it possible to say the movie didn't live up to the book, but it didn't." and "The one thing the movie matched the book in was tedium." The thing is, it had such potential to be great trashy movie made out of bad trashy book, only instead it went all humanizing the bitch, and turning the friend who were meant to be counterpoints into the friends who are friends on Friends, and the only things that were really good were Stanley Tucci who is just the genius of all geniuses and Meryl Streep who extremely brilliantly underplayed the boss, but of course, she's Meryl Streep, and no, the fashion did not excite me. About Cars, I can say that I thoroughly enjoyed it, despite expecting a sacrificial two hours bored in the movie theater to make E happy. Loved the animation, loved the way the cars became characters, loved the working-the-American-movie-cliche plot. And Keeping Up with the Steins was ok, sweet, predictable, but thoroughly uplifted by the final scene which I will not tell you about, but which pretty much does make the movie worth seeing.

And now, in the great American tradition, I am off to celebrate the Fourth of July with recreational activities away from home. S intends to buy fireworks on our way to away from home, and there will be much swimming involved, so see you maybe around the end of the week.

3 comments:

jackie said...

I loved "Cars" too, much more than I expected!

I don't get the Scarlett thing.

Libby said...

have a great break! And, hmm, tell me more about what you loved about Cars, which I found kinda boring except for the Paul Newman part. I did, though, love Lost in Translation. I love Bill Murray more than Scarlett, though.

Reel Fanatic said...

I too was surprised by how much I liked "Lost in Translation" .. that karaoke scene alone was worth the price of admission .. as for "Cars," Im way behind on summer flicks, but will finally get to see this one today, and am really looking forward to it