Thursday, April 05, 2007

Self-Improvement

One thing I don't like about myself is that I eat too fast. It's a family failing. When I was little and my grandmother came to visit, she would get served first and, neatly slicing away at her food with busy knife and fork, she would be done by the time the last person was served (that would never happen in my house, where you have to wait till everyone is seated and served). My dad, too, eats quickly. None of us are sloppy pigs, but it detracts from the pleasure of the social meal to finish before everyone else, every time, and I think, too, that it makes me eat more, because I can't believe there's none left, so quickly, so I take another serving, out of habit, regardless of whether I'm still hungry.

At any rate, I've decided to tame this habit. My strategy is to put down my fork--or my sandwich, or matza with butter and salt, or whatever--between every bite. So far it's working (with the help of reminders from E), and eating is more pleasant. I'm pretty excited.

No comments: