Sunday, July 10, 2005

Nigella Update

I know, I've been slacking on the Nigella front. But I've got excuses! Good ones!

1) Chocolate Guiness Cake and Chocolate Meringue Truffle Cake are so good that it's hard to resist detouring from the chocolate cake odyssey to make them again and again. This week alone I made Chocolate Guinness for S's brother's birthday on Monday and Chocolate Meringue Truffle for my mom's birthday on Saturday. Both received rave reviews, especially from those who have been following the chocolate cake saga on the blog but had not yet gotten a taste.

2) It's summer. Who on earth wants to turn on the oven and trek through chocolate cakes when it's 90 degrees out? Just give me a slice of watermelon already!

3) Honestly, I'm not too excited about the rest of the cakes: Chocolate Orange Cake and Chocolate Fruit Cake--the whole fruit/chocolate thing which, as you know, I'm not so crazy about; Rococoa Chocolate Cake--looks really challenging and has ingredients like chopped pistachios and mascarpone cheese which I don't usually happen to have around the house; Chocolate Chestnut Cake--Nigella uses some weird cake mold that I don't have; Chocolate Cheesecake--no real objection, just cheesecake doesn't seem very chocolate cake to me.

OK, writing out those objections makes them all seem lame--except for the ongoing fruit problem which I simply need to get over if I am going to complete this chocolate cake quest. My resolve is renewed. I will not repeat another cake until I have tried them all. The baking will resume.

In September.

No comments: