Friday, July 08, 2005

Today

It took me till this evening to read today's paper. Besides yesterday's win, the sports section was full of London and the 2012 Summer Olympics.

This morning I paid the bills, went for a run, and took the living room rug to the Oriental rug dudes to be cleaned. This afternoon I took the girls to the main library in Big City (the metropolis around which cluster City, Town, Other Town, Suburb, and all the other places in which our new life unfolds) to see an exhibit on printing and books, as well as an exhibit about Nancy Drew that we hadn't even known was there. Then we had ice cream, visited a friend and her toddler and baby, and ended up at the playground. I made edamame (frozen) and pad thai (from a box) for dinner.

Going on with ordinary life seems blasphemous, but that's how it is. Being more disturbed by bombings in London than bombings in Iraq seems hideously Eurocentric, but that's how it is too. I think it's the combination of the familiar and the unexpected. This I can picture; this I have not become inured to. Yet it raises the issue of how frighteningly inured we have become, as every day we blasphemously go on with ordinary life.

No comments: