Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Signs of Stress

The bottom line is that we are all happy with our move. I expected a lot more homesickness from the kids, but aside from M missing the girls next door when she's bored, they have pretty much left Red State Capital City Suburb behind. (Or maybe not: M just read this over my shoulder and said "And L! I miss L!" and then stomped off to the couch and wouldn't talk to me, so maybe I have just triggered the arrival of homesickness--or maybe she just needs some breakfast.)

My point, though, was going to be, and still is, that although we are all happy with our move, and having a great time with our East Coast Big City family and friends, and loving our new house, and exploring our new neighborhood, and going swimming every day, it's clear that we are all stressed. Here's how it shows:

E--talking lots of baby talk and has peed in her pants three times in the last week

M--chewing her hair

S--stomach problems

me--barely sleeping

It's almost laughable how predictable we are. These are exactly the ways each of us always responds to stress. It's just interesting to barely notice the stress on a manifest level, but have it be so obviously latent. (I hope I'm using those terms correctly; what I once manifestly knew about psychoanalysis has long since gone latent.) (A joke, that's a psychoanalytic joke, not proof that I really don't know what they mean.) (Not that anyone cares.)

No comments: