Saturday, July 30, 2005

Travelling Shoes

I'm generally a good packer, except when it comes to shoes. I seem incapable of leaving town with fewer than four pairs of shoes.

I need to take running shoes, because you never know when you are going to have a chance to run, and if you have a chance to run but don't have your shoes, it is just too sad.

Then I need a nice pair of shoes and a comfortable pair of shoes. Say, pumps and clogs in winter, or Nine West black slides and Merrell Tokens in summer.

And then I need just-in-case-of-the-weather shoes: boots in winter (just in case it snows); clogs or sneakers in summer (just in case it suddenly gets cold).

I'm always trying to buy the pair of shoes that will be both nice and comfortable (but they never are), or the boots that will also be nice (except then you need another pair of weather-proof boots in case it blizzards). Sometimes I try to fool myself that I can use my running shoes for either the comfortable shoes or the weather shoes, but I can't, because I am quite compulsive about only wearing my running shoes to run.

So it is with enormous trepidation that I am leaving town today with just three pairs of shoes: running shoes, the Merrell Tokens, and clogs. I am foregoing the black slides because I can't imagine I will be going anywhere so nice that the Merrell Tokens can't see me through it. I am not taking my hiking boots, because I can hike in my running shoes, really, I can. I am not taking flip-flops, because the Merrell Tokens are sufficiently flip-flopesque, I hope. Really, though, I'm only taking three pairs of shoes because S is coming up in a few days, and he can always bring me another pair.

I'll be back in two weeks. There may be sporadic blogging, but there may not.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

HA! I'm the same way with my running shoes - Only for running. I feel guilty if I wear them any other time. Sad thing is, I haven't been running in a long while. Out of shape and unwilling to re-commit.

Anonymous said...

Hope you enjoy your trip! I'll miss your writing and look forward to your return.

Malia Jones said...

Here's my solution: I get a new pair of running shoes before the old ones are 100% toast. Then I can wear the old ones around without feeling guilty for ruining my good running shoes, and I can still run in them if needed on a trip somewhere. This at least reduces the need for walking shoes + running shoes. Of course, you still need nice looking shoes and weather shoes... if only they made a convertable, water-proof running sandal that looked like a Kenneth Cole slide.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.