Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Still More on Hillary and Feminist Generations

The commenters here are much more articulate than I am. The bottom line is, as Rebecca Traister said last week, in another intelligent article about which I believe I wrote a blog post which I then deleted, because, well, I don't know, probably because I have been feeling the superfluity of my input into all things blogospherical: It is possible to see very clearly how much sexism Hillary has faced on this campaign trail and still not want to vote for her. And, for god's sake, if she is the nominee, we all will vote for her; we just don't think she's the be-all and end-all of politics, feminist or not.

I do not know why I am so wrought up about all this today. Actually, I do know, and if I would just get on with what I'm supposed to be doing, I would be able to let go.

3 comments:

Libby said...

Yes. Just, yes: it is possible to be a feminist, and to see that some of the criticism of HRC is misogynist, and still not want to vote for her. As a wise professor in grad school once said, and I have never stopped quoting it, "two things can happen at the same time." Why is that so hard to grasp?

Sinda said...

yes and yes and yes.

Robin Aronson said...

I recommend Nancy Franklin's review of the Philadelphia debate in the latest New Yorker. She's pro-Hillary, but/and I think she really captures the exhausted conflict over this sorry situation......