Friday, May 13, 2005

Men and Lesbians

Jonathan Richman goes dancing at the lesbian bar and Bad New Hughes goes to the lesbian party.

I'm not sure words can express my love for Jonathan Richman. We used to see him in Berkeley at the Starry Plough, and then we saw him at Slim's, I think, and every time we see him in Red State Capital City I feel better. I love his striped shirt, and his guitar, and his dorky dancing. I love how his songs limn the landscapes of my youth. I love that he pre-punked punk and now lives up in the Sierra foothills amongst the aging hippies. I love that he laments the death of parties and rhymes Picasso and asshole. I even love how he sits in that tree in There's Something About Mary.

Once at the Starry Plough, I was standing right in front by the stage, and he stared straight into my eyes for the whole set with that hang dog "I would be the best boyfriend you ever broke up with" look. I was ready to go backstage and offer him every inch of my body, but I thought S wouldn't be so happy about that. I wasn't imagining it, either, because my step-brother was way in the back of the room, and at the end of the set he said, "What was with you and Jonathan? He was just staring at you the whole night!"

Then there's Bad News Hughes. Like I always say, he just makes me laugh.

1 comment:

Phantom Scribbler said...

I came over from the link at Bitch Ph.D.'s to read the Important Post above, but I had to comment on this post:

Jonathan Richman stared into your eyes during a show?!? That is SO. COOL!

There is nothing else to say. I Heart Jonathan Richman.