Monday, May 16, 2005

Thoughts Upon Reading This Week's People Magazine

I feel like I should wax erudite and political for all those erudite, political people who've wandered over from Bitch Ph.D.. But the fact is, despite my 15 minutes of liberal blogging fame, I'm still the same old striving-to-be-erudite, sometimes-political, generally-maternal, occasionally-literary, always-celebrity-gossip-obsessed blogger I've always been, and I just gotta be me.

Close friends and attentive readers will recall that I gave up my long-term People magazine subscription so as not to subject my growing daughters to a ceaseless barrage of articles about diets and plastic surgery. But major events like Kenny and Renee's wedding still inspire surreptitious supermarket checkout line purchases (except that now I sometimes choose Star instead of People--more pictures, racier gossip, and none of that boring human interest stuff).

At any rate, here are my Thoughts Upon Reading This Week's People Magazine:

Jude Law remains one of the handsomest men on the planet.

Julie Mars, whom I've never heard of, has written a book called A Month of Sundays, blurbed thus: The death of her adored older sister led Mars to write a moving (but never mawkish) account of her own search for spiritual sustenance. Has anyone noticed that Justine Picardie already wrote that book after the death of her adored older sister, Ruth?

Laci is still dead. Scott is still on death row. Why on earth is People still pimping this story, on the cover to boot?

Peggy Lipton: another example of a woman who looked both older and better at 30 than she does at 58.

Lesley Ann Warren: yet another, though she claims she hasn't had plastic surgery and it's because of a "machine that stimulates face muscles electrically," to which we say (all together now) "yeah, right." (Does anyone else remember Lesley Ann Warren in The Great Train Robbery, one of the coolest movies ever?) (OK, I totally suck--thanks to IMDB I can humiliate myself and point out that it was Lesley Anne Down, not Lesley Ann Warren, in The Great Train Robbery.) ( But it was still a great movie.) (Maybe that's why I think Lesley Ann Warren used to look better--because Lesley Anne Down was so incredibly hot in The Great Train Robbery.) (More from IMDB: I'd forgotten that Lesley Anne Down was in Upstairs Downstairs too. Be still my beating heart.)

Does the world really need a Danny Bonaduce reality show?

I think I'm starting to feel better about the possibility of Brad and Angelina, though I'd feel even better if Jen could find someone I approved of.

Am I the only person who gave up on Star Wars after the first three movies?

2 comments:

Malia Jones said...

B, I love your blog because you, like me, recount what shoes you just bought and your love for celebrity gossip and that that Star Wars movies are trash. I vowed never to give George Lucas another dime after suffering through Episode I. We would be great friends. Please do not feel pressure to wax erudite (or otherwise) due to Bitch, Ph.D. readers, of which I am one.

Libby said...

Of course, Lesley Anne Warren was in the Rogers & Hammerstein Cinderella that still turns up on TV every now and then. Does she still look like she has some kind of thyroid condition? (Those bulging eyes!)

I gave up on Star Wars after the first trilogy, too. Never even bothered with any of the "prequels." And this morning's piece on NPR confirmed me in that decision--the most wooden dialogue I've ever heard!