Monday, May 23, 2005

Questions for the Secretary of Education

From yesterday's New York Times magazine:

That's all true, but what do assessment tests really measure, other than an ability to memorize for tests?

You hear about that kind of thing. With respect to my own children, I do think people have to have a fluency with facts. You need to know what four times four is.
...

What do you make of the current controversy in Kansas over whether creationism should be taught along with evolution?

I can tell you that in Texas we did go through this issue, when Bush was governor and I was working for him. We ended up -- the curriculum says basically that both points of view are taught from a factual basis.

How can creationism be taught from a factual basis? Are you implying that events in the Bible should be taught in the public schools as literal history?

I'm not implying anything. I'm just saying that my recollection from my Texas days is that both points of view were presented.
...

Do you think children should be allowed to watch television during the week?

You mean at school?

No, at home.

The president says, and I completely agree, to read as much as you watch TV. If you watch TV for an hour, then you read for an hour.

Is she stupid, spineless, or fully aware that the policies she must support to earn her keep are bullshit? I'm not quite sure which would be worse.

1 comment:

Sinda said...

I voted for all three when I read it (appropriately, in the bathroom) - stupid, spineless, political.

Earth Mother indeed - let me tell you, I live here in Austin, and she is not at all representative of us!!

Sinda