Saturday, June 03, 2006

California Dave

I’m not quite sure about West of the West, Dave Alvin’s new album. This not-quite-sureness pains me deeply, given the depth of my love for Dave. And the fact that the album has a great concept: covers of California songs by California songwriters.

Dave is the ultimate California musician. X aside, he embodies 80s L.A. punk, and songs like, well, “King of California,” of course, but especially “Dry River,” embody California, and isn’t it obvious that “Fourth of July” takes place in one of those California two-story apartment buildings with the stucco walls and the red roof and outside entrances along the balcony with the rickety stairs at the end?

The songs--from Brian Wilson and Jerry Garcia to Merle Haggard and Los Lobos--are the kinds of covers that make the audience go wild when Dave breaks one out in concert. But somehow, in one big collection, he makes them all sound alike. He kind of turns them all into Dave Alvin songs, mainly Dave Alvin slow songs. And I love Dave Alvin slow songs. And I love the sound of Dave’s voice any which way. But it gets a little monotonous.

However, S likes it. And I’m thinking it may very well be the kind of album that grows on you. In fact, it’s already kind of growing on me. In fact, I need to remember that Dave grew on me. And there’s no question it will be perfect for those moments when you need an album of slowly rocking songs and Dave’s inimitably comforting voice. So I guess I’m kind of winning myself over. Because Dave is Dave and, ultimately, he cannot be resisted. (And he’s touring! And he’s coming to City!)

No comments: