Friday, June 09, 2006

Recent Events in the Middle East

I am no fan of Al-Zarqawi, in any shape or form. I'd rather he had been caught and put to trial, but I'm certainly not going to mourn him. Nevertheless, I do not see how his killing (and I still don't get how they could drop two 500 pound bombs on the house and flatten it, and still have photos of his body, but luckily I'm not a conspiracy theorist) can possibly be good for anyone's cause. And what happened on the beach in Gaza today cements my sense of things. I don't think the erroneous shelling of a picnic is in any way related to--or similar to--the targeted killing of an Al Quaida leader. But I do think that our model for targeted killings is Israel. And the people Israel kills are Palestinian leaders. And their war just gets worse.

No comments: