Sunday, June 04, 2006

Tabitha King has a new book coming out

and I probably won't be reading it. It sounds like the kind of horror/ghost fiction that doesn't do much for me. But seeing the publicity made me think of One on One [Amazon link for the details] which was the first Tabitha King novel I ever read. I think I picked it up in Maine (appropriately), it seemed like a trashy novel about teenagers to while away a vacation, I had no idea she was Steven King's wife, and I was totally blown away. Gripping plot, absolutely compelling characterization, seductive writing: I couldn't put it down (this was back in the day--before kids--when such a phrase could be taken literally). I was thrilled to discover that she had other books about the same characters, and I went on to devour Pearl and The Book of Reuben. I have no idea why Tabitha King has not hit it much bigger, she is that good.

1 comment:

jackie said...

he always says how good she is, but I never hear much about her either, and her books are out of print, so lucky you, if you have them!