Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Other People's Dreams

I know: they're boring.  And it's even worse when they're partial and fragmented, but this was so weird I just had to write it down.

We were up on top of a very high mountain, all snowy and craggy, kind of K2 like.  Altitude sickness was a danger, but the other problem was that the tide was coming in, and where we were camped was going to be under water.  S had gone off, I think to get the plane or the boat which would get us out of there, and I was trying to clean up the campsite and pack, worrying that I was going to get altitude sickness.  

Then somehow I had these three tiny naked mice in the palm of my hand: tiny, they were maybe the length of half a finger.  It seemed imperative that I take care of them, but I didn't know what to do with them, and I had so much to do.

A man went by, in some kind of limping crawling fashion, and he seemed like the obvious solution, so I asked him if he wanted some mice.  He looked at me like I was crazy, and said of course he did not want mice.  I looked down at the mice in my hand, and then I realized that while I'd been worrying about mice, the tide had almost come in, I had become almost delirious, and I needed to get across the remaining sand while I could.  So I dropped the mice down into the snow cliff below.

I can't help thinking this has something to do with Sarah Palin.  Or with me not having my priorities straight.  Or with getting rid of things that I really shouldn't be worrying about (which is something I am strongly considering).  Or perhaps just with being a spacy coldhearted bitch.

No comments: