Saturday, May 20, 2006

Friday Night Movie

I haven't been writing Friday Night Movie posts because there hasn't been much to write.

E has been watching a lot of Little People movies, about which I have nothing to say, because I haven't been watching them.

M has been watching movies she has seen a million times, and I can't even tell you what they are, because I haven't been watching them.

I have rented Nine Lives several times, and I have nothing to say about it, because I have not yet managed to watch it.

There is baseball, there are books to read, there are projects, Match Point and The Squid and the Whale still cost extra on my membership, and I just haven't been very movie motivated.

But last week, I saw a copy of Bride and Prejudice on the wall at the movie store, and I knew we had this week's movie (we'd already chosen last week's movies: Little People for E, something I don't remember for M, and Nine Lives for me). When S and I saw Bride and Prejudice last year, we agreed it would be a great movie for M. And when I finally talked M into seeing Pride and Prejudice IN THE MOVIE THEATER and she loved it, I knew it was a good sign for Bride and Prejudice (the last movie M had seen in a movie theater was Rugrats in Paris, at the age of four--she is not a movie theater kind of girl--and, as we know, M prefers to watch movies she has already seen).

So we rounded up Lucy and Mabel, warmed up with some edamame and rice, sushi, unagi don, jap chae, and ice cream, and settled in to Bride and Prejudice. Thumbs up all around, although I did have to keep up a constant stream of explanatory patter. But really, how can you go wrong with four sisters, India, London, L.A., a mean mom, technicolor song and dance numbers, love gone wrong, love gone right, and elephants!?

And if you're wondering about E, it's a sad sad story involving much recalcitrance at leaving Grammy and Grandpa's house, many threats, and a for-once-kept resolve to follow through on my threats. Alas, E did not get her own movie tonight, though she did get ice cream and she did watch Bride and Prejudice with us, until she fell asleep on the floor.

1 comment:

Phantom Scribbler said...

It sounds better than our current all Magic School Bus, all the time viewing habits.