Monday, May 29, 2006

I Have Seen Rock and Roll's Past, and Its Name Is Bruce Springsteen

If you get that allusion, points for you, and you can tell where I grew up (and the allusion is not meant to infer that Bruce's day is done, but rather that his current music is clearly an origin point for rock and roll.)

If you get excited that Bruce brought out Peter Wolf for the last song, and they played "Dirty Water" seguing into "Buffalo Gal," then you probably grew up where I grew up (and if "Buffalo Gal" makes you think of Malcolm Maclaren, you get a few more points).

If I say that we took the girls to the opening night of the Seeger Sessions tour, then you can easily figure out where I live (but you don't need to mention it).

***

I've been disgruntled with the blog lately. Partly because I'm disgruntled with myself, but also because the way I've set this up isn't working for me right now.

I'm annoyed with trying to post every day, which keeps my head buzzing with topics, opening lines, even entire posts--I want to let other things buzz. I'm tired of letting my stats get me down, or up--my moods turn on a dime too easily anyway. I'm frustrated with my semi-anonymity--I want to blog about Blue State dramas, like a ridiculous sexual harassment scandal at a major local institution, and our appalling governor (who, besides thinking that Iraq is part of his jurisdiction, just booted three members of the state public health commission who voted to ban formula from maternity ward giveaway bags, and reversed the ban which benefits...uh...newborn babies? new mothers? oh yeah, large corporations!).

I've toyed with quitting altogether, and obviously I took a break, but then I found myself wanting to post about the Bruce Springsteen concert, so, for now, I'm taking down my stats, abandoning my post-every-day policy, posting only when I want to about what I want to (sorry, folks, nothing to say about the Brangelina baby) , and relaxing about the anonymity schtick (really I just want not to be Googleable, which seems feasible).

***
Me: Did you like the concert?
E: [shrug] I don't know?
Me: Why don't you know?
E: Because I wasn't there for the whole thing.
Me: Did you like it before you feel asleep?
E: [shrug] I don't know. I can't believe I fell asleep.
Me: It's kind of funny that first it was too loud for you, and then you fell asleep.
E: I liked "Oh Mary Don't You Weep" and "Erie Canal."

Regardless of whether she actually liked it--and I'd say that her assessment is accurate, because she liked the idea of it, and had a bit of fun during some songs, and when we walked around, but she also was a bit perturbed throughout--I hope that adult E will enjoy telling her friends that her first concert was Bruce Springsteen when she was five, and she fell asleep.

***
I had no intention of going to my 20th college reunion, but my friends started working on me a few months ago. It's hard to resist when people say things like "all I want is to see you." Really, though, I didn't want to go. I went to college with a lot of very successful people, and while I'm no slouch, I'm pretty transitional and angsty these days, and I don't particularly want to share. Plus, as S pointed out, all my classmates will be talking about their investment banking deals and the renovations to their houses in the Hamptons, and I would have to face my bad choices (joke).

Still, I vacillated. I like my friends; could be fun; what if my looks are peaking now and have deteriorated by 2011?

Then it was announced that the first night of the Seeger Sessions tour would be Saturday night of Memorial Day weekend in East Coast Big City. Then the show was moved outside. Then it became clear: if we could get tickets, I was meant to skip the reunion and take the girls to see Bruce Springsteen; if we couldn't, I was meant to go.

We got tickets.

At about 8, I turned to S and said, "They've just finished their gin and tonics, and now they're sitting down to their beef tenderloin." And I was happy to be where I was.

***
K: M, how did you like the concert?
M: AWESOME!

***
It doesn't get much better than outdoor music on a beautiful summer night. Especially when M is standing on the chair next to you, rocking out, with a beautific grin on her face (and even when you're sitting down with sleeping E's head on your lap, watching the giant tv screens). Especially Bruce (I am not a diehard Bruce fan, but you've got to admit, he puts on a show, and, being the 70s white girl/40something mom that I am, I can't help swooning a bit when he does that back-to-the-audience butt wiggle across the stage).

You can read a review for details. I'll just say: thumbs up to the banjo, the fiddle, the raggedy rocking horns, the politics, the acoustic versions of "Cadillac Ranch," "Ramrod," and "You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch)," and, of course, all my favorite folk songs.

***
So I'm watching this amphitheater of middle-aged white people singing along to "John Henry" and "Erie Canal" and "Jesse James" and "Pay Me My Money Down," and I'm thinking about the intertextuality of the whole thing, because everyone sings along at a Springsteen concert, except usually they're singing about Rosalita and Wendy, and Pete Seeger is the master of singalongs--I remember Arlo Guthrie once talking about how Pete Seeger taught him to say the line just before you sing it so everyone can sing with you--and about how much I love American folk music, and how I wish everyone loved it, and I'm wondering whether I just love it because I sang it as a kid--I know just about every song on that record--and then I realize that it is much more than that.

What is so great about American folk music--work songs and spirituals, ballads and protest songs--is that it is profoundly collective. It is about ordinary people singing together about shared experiences. Even the music itself, the danceable tunes and clappable beats, or the haunting melodies, works to bring people together. Which is why it's so great for kids. Which is why that whole amphitheater was rocking out. Which is why it is so profoundly political.

And then I thought about contemporary politics, and how I wish the Democrats, some Democrat, any Democrat, would stand up and say "The goal here isn't to get more and better and bigger for yourself. The goal is to help each other, to work together, to make life better for everyone. So let's kick these big-business-loving, poor-people-and-immigrant-hating, war-mongering assholes the hell out of Dodge, and get down to business."

At least Bruce is saying it, but that just isn't enough.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Much more interesting than a post about Britney.

Love, S

Phantom Scribbler said...

1. I'm glad you didn't give up teh blog -- I'd miss posts like this.

2. I had that whole frickin' Malcolm McClaren album, baby.

3. I did spend Saturday at Mr. Blue's 20th reunion. It was surprisingly painless. But will I go to my own reunion when it rolls around? Hah.

4. "I remember Arlo Guthrie once talking about how Pete Seeger taught him to say the line just before you sing it so everyone can sing with you." You know that Pete Seeger/Arlo Guthrie concert double album where Arlo does "Walkin' Down the Line"? Best satire of Pete's technique ever.

Susan said...

I'm so excited- I'm going to this concert next week! Woo hoo!

jackie said...

This was such a great post-- makes me want to go look into all that music you wrote about! Don't worry about blog pressure, I'll be glad to read when/whatever you end up feeling like writing about.

I'm skipping my high schol reunion this summer-- I just can't seem to care enough about it to plan for it. I'm not intimidated by my former classmates' current lives-- but the older I get the more I realize how much I didn't get out of high school.

karrie said...

I'm new enough to blogging that I do not feel pressured by it, but your topic/buzz description resonates.

Anonymous said...

I"m glad you'll keep blogging, I would so miss your voice. This was a fabulous post. When I lived in NY I saw Bruce on the ferry. Talk about a man who ages to perfection. I think you made the right choice to go to the concert...I skipped my 20th reunion last fall, and though I was curious, I wasn't eager.

Anonymous said...

I am pea green about the concert, especially outside! I have never seen Springsteen live, to my profound dismay.

Your points about folk music are spot-on. The older I get, the farther back I reach for music. This morning, spurred by a question from my son, I've found myself dipping into the standards. A day that starts with Ella and Sarah is bound to be a good one.

Libby said...

I saw Bruce at the fifty-yard line of the LA Coliseum on the Born in the USA tour. I think, though, I would rather have been at this one with all of you! It sounds fabulous. What a way to spend Memorial Day (of course!) weekend.

Keep blogging; you have plenty to say, and lots of us who want to read it. Though I do resonate with the angst, you know I do. I skipped my 20th college reunion, though I went to the 25th high school one.

Tim Wood said...

I saw the show in NYC and expecting to see Bruce doing what he does best which is acoustic, but instead I got a combination of River Dance and A PBS fundraising special. Which is real funny because tonight wouldn’t you know I flipped on PBS and there was Bruce dancing in step with his 30 piece band.

I dig Pete Seeger and I dig Woody G. but this was not tribute, it was an indulgence for the big B. What is the world coming to when folk music is a 30 piece band with a brass and string sections.

Perhaps some people want to see Bruce dance with his new friends but I was expecting to hear Bruce play his guitar and hear him sing. You could not hear his voice over this 6 so call back up singers who don't understand the concept of backup singing.

I have not heard played the CD but I've seen the concert and the PBS special and both were contrive and unspontanious.

I'm going to see Dylan in about 4 weeks and I can only hope he leaves the horn section at home and that folk can be performed without the River Dance PBS fundraising production.

Give me Nebraska. Give me my cash back. Give Seeger his songs back.