Wednesday, May 10, 2006

You'd think we'd be used to it by now

(it being bookstores closing), but the idea of Berkeley without Cody's on Telegraph Avenue is just so depressing. Those were the sine qua non of front tables, and there's nothing like a crowded reading in that upstairs room, with the pictures of all the authors who have read there before looking down on the day's anointed. Even today I remember exactly where my sections were: fiction, poetry, travel, cookbooks, professional topics I won't mention...

3 comments:

landismom said...

Oh my god...I'm tempted to fly out for one last shopping spree...and it's closing on my birthday! That's just wrong.

postacademic said...

I was in Cody's on Telegraph yesterday and it really has faded away...the Cody's on 4th St. seems much more vibrant (better table displays, for one thing) and did you know they also have a Cody's off of Union Sq. now? So there's still plenty of Cody's, just not the original one. If you come out here, go to the 4th street location for the real thing; the SF store is a little "dumbed down" for my tastes.

In general, the flora and fauna of Telegraph Ave. street theatre has only made it harder for the local businesses to bring in customers after dark. I know that University Press Books is having a terrible time of it -- and losing that bookstore would also be a huge blow.

Anonymous said...

that is completely sad. Of course I (re)met you at University Press Books which in a sick way I almost (but not quite) like better