Wednesday, May 03, 2006

In Which I Succumb to the Keira Knightley/All Things British Vogue

When and why did Phoebe Philo leave Chloe? (OK, easy google: to spend time with the baby, but we know that's always a coverup.)

Why is Vogue so utterly obsessed with Alice Temperley? The clothes are certainly cute, but this must be at least the third isn't-Alice-Temperley's-life-and-style-the-best-thing-ever article I've read, and I really do not read Vogue very often.

Jamie Oliver is only THIRTY?

Topshop. Ah, Topshop. Alas and alack, I am too old for Topshop--at least I was two years ago, last time I tried. I bought socks. But they are very nice socks.

And then there is Plum Sykes. Why must there be Plum Sykes?

From her article about her new apartment:

Getting married, writing a novel, and decorating an apartment all in the space of a year is quite something...In the end I realized that the only way to get [my husband] to agree to what I wanted to do was to sweetly pretend that I was going to do exactly what Toby suggested, and then just do what I wanted anyway...Husbands think they know a lot about decorating. But I have come to the conclusion that their opinions are unsound. Straight men are not wired in the art of prettification (thank goodness).

Hurricane Katrina was quite something too.

From a description of a costume party in the excerpt from her new novel (her first novel was utterly, totally, and completely unreadable--I lasted 15 pages):

There were Bogies and Bacalls lounging on black lacquer and gilt chairs, and a very convincing Jean Shrimpton and David Bailey duo were giggling by the bar. A Penelope Tree and Truman Capote duo sat cross-legged on the floor talking intensely, while a Halston and Warhol combo stepped coolly over them. On Lauren's sofas, which had been recovered in old 1930s Japanese kimono fabric, three sets of John and Yoko sat gossiping as hard as though they really were John and Yoko.

Yeah, gossiping, that's what I always associate with John and Yoko. Really, though, you lost me at the second "duo."

OK, I will never buy Vogue again.

Until I do.

1 comment:

postacademic said...

I just wanted to affirm that I too bought that issue - and the only thing that redeems it is the Go Fug Yourself entries of the Met Anglophilia party!