Thursday, December 06, 2007

Recent Cooking

Yesterday I made 14 apples (Fuji, Cortland, and Braeburn) worth of applesauce, which was supposed to be sufficient for two Hanukkah parties this weekend, but it's only two quarts, and I have a feeling I'm going to be making more applesauce come Saturday. I'm sure that last year I made many fewer apples worth, planning enough for two events, and it wasn't enough, so I made more this year, only it seems still not to be enough. Is there some law of insufficent apple returns?

On the chocolate cake front, I appear to have been usurped, at least in the case of S's birthday, for which M made the cake 97% on her own (I handled oven duties and layer manipulation during the frosting process). In case you were wondering, it was the devil's food cake from Gourmet, but she chickened out on the brown sugar butter cream and went for chocolate sour cream frosting. It was delicious, but I'm not quite sure I'm ready to give up my mixer.