Tuesday, December 18, 2007

They Couldn't Make This Shit Up!

Britney's 16-year-old sister is pregnant. And if her network and her mom are confirming it, she's presumably keeping the baby (abortion is not the kind of thing you go public with if you're a starlet, or a Spears). I'm not quite sure why I feel the need to blog this, because, frankly, it's hard not to go into insulting race-and-class terminology, and I don't really want to go there, for reasons of political correctness, though obviously I do want to go there, for reasons of, well, obviousness.

Earlier this fall I read an issue of Vanity Fair, maybe October, and it was actually really good. I was going to blog about it: it had this incredible piece about corruption in Iraq, a month before the story hit the papers (now I'm thinking maybe it wasn't corruption? it was something unbelievable in Iraq--unbelievable, but true, of course--only I'm too tired to remember what it was) (too tired may be the basis of this entire post). And there were a bunch of great articles, and then there was this totally gossipy irresistible piece about Paris, Lindsay, and Britney's mothers. Basically it said Kathy Hilton is a total sleaze who is in it for the money even though she should have enough money, Dina Lohan has had a very tough life and needs the money, and Lynne Spears is a good mother who doesn't deserve this.

Huh. Well, that's one interpretation. And I should probably stop now, because I'm about to fall down the slippery slope of mommy-bashing, which I theoretically don't want to fall down, but don't you think one of the most important things today's mothers need to do for their daughters is make sure they know about birth control?

No comments: