Friday, December 14, 2007

To Card or Not To Card: The Annual Debate

Pro: There are so many people out there that we love, and the holiday card is a great way to keep in touch.

Con: Well, they don't seem to love us so much. Last year we sent out maybe 80 cards and received maybe 20. So far this year: 3.

Pro: The children are beautiful and we need to show them off.

Con: Who cares if the children are beautiful, and isn't it self-aggrandizing to show them off?

Pro: We always have this debate, and we always end up sending a card, even if sometimes it's a Valentine's card.

Con: Well, this year we are very busy and not in a particularly cardly mood.

Pro: But then we'll feel bad about not being in touch with all those people we loved in my first sally.

Con: We always feel bad about something, so we can just put that on the list.

Con seems to be in the lead, but will Pro suddenly strike forth? Will inspiration strike? What will happen with the writer's strike? And how about all those baseball players who recovered from their long-ago strike with steroids? Tune in sometime in the next few months to discover How the Card Turns.

6 comments:

Dawn said...

I've been wanting to send a card showing two kids since I first decided I wanted two kids and this is the first year I'm going to do it. Dammit.

Phantom Scribbler said...

We are not only doing the card, but LG decided that HE wanted to be the one to write our names on them. I feel slightly guilty about this -- it isn't child labor if I'm not, you know, paying him, right? -- but it does make teh sending of teh cards much easier.

And I bet your kids have much nicer handwriting than mine. I'm just saying.

Anonymous said...

I don't do cards, but I like getting them. We don't know each other, but if we did, not receiving a card from me wouldn't mean that "I don't love you" :-)

I don't do cards because I'm too disorganized, but I want to do them in theory.

Kelly said...

For the past few years my cards have gone out sometime between new years and V-day. This year will be no different unless I succumb to the desire to not do them at all. We've only received 3 this year yet and last year I sent out 75. It's a battle I have with myself every single year and never know how it's really turning out until the cards are suddenly in the mail.

jackie said...

I am way too disorganized to send out holiday cards. I'm trying to accept that about myself and stop feeling guilty about it. I love getting them, but keeping track of addresses, getting stamps, making sure I send to everyone who sends to me, actually getting them in the mail-- it's just out of my reach this year. Maybe in a year or two.

Anonymous said...

cards. They are getting so negative. I thought getting or giving cards was suspose to be pleasant. Go read the cards out in the stores. I am surprised that people would buy such negative sounding cards. what is our country coming to?