Monday, March 06, 2006

I'm Finally Reading Steve Almond

I first heard of Steve Almond when his Salon piece on being hated was running around the internet and I was kind of amazed that here was this writer I'd never heard of who was famous enough to be hated and then to write an incredibly obnoxious essay about it and get his essay published in Salon. Later I realized that I had heard of the candy book out of the corner of my ear, though the author hadn't registered.

A few weeks ago someone told me about taking a writing workshop with Steve Almond during which he was incredibly cruel and inappropriate, though he apologized and stopped when called on it. Then last week Bookslut linked to "Bad Sex with Steve Almond" in Nerve.

So when I needed to grab a book at the library recently, I naturally thought of Steve Almond (first I thought of Poppy Z. Brite, but the Town library appears not to go that far). A quick check of the shelves brought up My Life in Heavy Metal which I've been reading.

I did not want to think that Steve Almond was a good writer, but he is.

Nevertheless, I do not feel compelled to read a lot of Steve Almond.

No comments: